If you’ve received a citation because of an alleged moving violation, your first thought might be to put it behind you as quickly as possible. That would mean pleading guilty, paying the fine, and moving on with your life. However, that might not be in your best interest. The consequences of a traffic offense conviction can put your driving privileges at risk and can strain your finances. You shouldn’t roll over and accept these penalties when there may be ways for you to fight your traffic citation and win. Never plead guilty to a ticket before consulting with a Roanoke traffic defense lawyer.
At Copenhaver, Ellett & Derrico, we have a proven track record of obtaining good outcomes for our clients facing citations for moving violations and criminal charges arising out of dangerous driving. No matter the nature of your case, we will give it a thorough overview and propose one or several possibilities for its defense.
If you’re wondering how we might be able to assist you specifically, call us today at or contact us online for a consultation.
What Are My Options If I’ve been Cited for a Traffic Offense in Virginia?
When you get accused of speeding, running a red light, or committing any other moving violation, you will be confronted with a choice: Do I pay the fine or do I contest the ticket? The best answer to this question depends on factors such as:
- The seriousness of the offense with which you’ve been charged
- Whether any injuries or property damage resulted from the alleged traffic offense
- Your driving history
- Your criminal record
- Your financial situation
- How important it is for you to retain your driving privileges
- Your insurance policy
- Whether you are a resident of Virginia
A lawyer can use their knowledge of the law and of the Virginia driver’s license system to help you make the right decision about your traffic offense. Every case may be different, but in each case we believe that the best solution is the one that results in the least amount of long-term consequences for our client.
How Can a Roanoke Traffic Lawyer Help Me?
The traffic defense lawyers of Copenhaver, Ellett & Derrico will listen to you about the circumstances surrounding your alleged moving violation and look at all of the available evidence. Once we get a good perspective on your case, we will be able to determine what traffic defense strategies might be available to you, and how a guilty plea might affect your future.
There’s a lot to consider in deciding whether to fight or to contest your Virginia moving violation. To make an informed choice, you should consider the following:
- Cost of Pleading Guilty – A guilty plea doesn’t just involve a fine and points on your license. You will also face increased auto insurance premiums and the possible revocation of your driving privileges. If your traffic citation arose out of an incident resulting in injuries or property damage, pleading guilty could also expose you to civil liability.
- Fighting Your Ticket – When you fight your ticket, you and your lawyer will go to court to rebut the charges against you. It may be in your interest to testify in court, but this is not always necessary. The outcome of your case will depend on whether the authorities have shown beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed the offense.
- Traffic Violation Defense – In your case, there may be several ways to show that you did not commit the moving violation. Your traffic defense attorney will attempt to demonstrate that the equipment used to measure your speed was faulty, poorly calibrated, or operated by an officer with inadequate training. Your lawyer will subject the officer who gave you citation to cross-examination in order to highlight the weaknesses in the case against you.
If you want a Roanoke traffic lawyer who will give your case a thorough defense, look no further than Copenhaver, Ellett & Derrico. With decades of combined experience defending the rights of people charged with civil and criminal offense in Virginia, we are well positioned to bring your case to a positive resolution.
For more details on how we can help you get the best outcome possible for your ticket, contact us online or call us today at .