How a Roanoke DUI Attorney Can Help You
Behind the Scenes
The portrayal of criminal lawyers where they posture in front of a jury or harshly examine a witness on the stand doesn’t give an accurate representation of the day to day activities of a criminal attorney. Certainly, there are situations where those events take place, but the job of a criminal lawyer is much more tactical and pragmatic. In a given day, a criminal lawyer may spend time doing any number of these tasks:
- Researching case law
- Interviewing witnesses
- Strategizing a defense plan for an upcoming trial
- Meeting with existing and prospective clients
- Negotiating with the prosecution
- Drafting and filing motions
- Appearing in court on behalf of their clients
The Big Picture
On a case level, it is our goal as criminal attorneys to achieve the best possible results for those we represent. That doesn’t mean that a not guilty verdict is attainable in every case. In some cases a guilty plea is the best option for you because the evidence available to the prosecution is insurmountable. In these cases the goal is to minimize the penalties that will be assessed.
Why Should I Hire a Roanoke DUI Attorney?
It’s not unusual for people to ask “why should I hire a lawyer?” Each person’s situation is unique, so it’s difficult to apply a blanket answer to that question. However, if you are charged with a criminal, traffic, or DUI offense then it is almost always a good idea to retain an attorney. Here are some of the most compelling reasons to have a lawyer represent you:
- Navigating the Virginia Criminal Court System. Attempting to defend yourself can be confusing and time consuming, especially if you have little to no experience in the legal system. Even contesting a minor traffic violation could result in multiple court visits that could interfere with work or family obligations. Having an experienced attorney represent you can ease the burden of having to interact directly with the courts.
- Vast Legal Knowledge. Regardless of how many legal books, articles, or websites that may be read, there is no substitute for practical legal experience. The law is incredibly nuanced and charges that may appear the same to the average person may carry drastically different penalties. A qualified defense attorney will assess all aspects of your charge and evidence available to determine if the charge filed accurately reflects the alleged offense. If there is a discrepancy then your attorney may be able to have your charge amended.
- Courtroom Experience. Seasoned attorneys will have an intimate knowledge of the prosecution and judge. This knowledge is incredibly important when it comes to negotiating a plea. For example, a local court may be lenient with respect to reducing charges for certain offenses that would be virtually impossible to know as a member of the general public.
- Your Future. Having a criminal conviction on your record is a serious matter. Frankly, if you’ve been charged with a crime it’s likely that you haven’t considered all of the areas of your life that will be affected. For example, certain occupations have minimal, if any, tolerance for a criminal record. Click here to see if your profession has penalties that may be assessed in addition to those handed down by the Commonwealth.
How a Roanoke Criminal Defense Lawyer Can Help You in a Virginia Court Room
If you’ve been charged with a crime, contact a criminal defense attorney in Virginia from Roanoke Criminal Attorneys can help evaluate the details of your case and your options. For an appointment at our office, call us at (540) 343-9349.